Saturday, March 8, 2014

You Can Do It: "Term" Pregnancy

Originally Posted: March 3, 2014

Today I enter the third trimester of my pregnancy. The entrance into these final 12 weeks has started with a bang—a bang of intense heart burn and lower abdominal pressure.

For many women, myself included, these last weeks can be trying. When I was pregnant with my now 21-month-old son, the aches and pains, continued weight gain and lack of sleep wore me out. I always count my blessings (x 100!) that I have not yet had any serious medical issues during my pregnancies, but even these “normal” things can make the day-to-day difficult.

However, I hope I can enlighten you (and energize myself) as to just how much important work you are doing for your baby during this time, and especially at the bitter-sweet end.

I think many moms already understand the significance of the first 10-12 weeks of pregnancy. It’s truly a miracle that a group of cells turns into a functioning fetus at the end of such a short time—with organs and the general shape of a human being. But from mothers to physicians, I think there is a lack of emphasis on the importance of keeping that baby inside the womb until the 40th or even 41st or 42nd weeks. It seems that once “full term” is reached at 37 weeks, we consider ourselves done.

To this I say, “If we can help it, we’re not done!”

For my current pregnancy, my goal, though I may not have complete control, is to keep this baby in until June 1, which is one week past my doctor-prescribed due date. Why you ask?

Thanks to Dr. Husband’s post-doctorate education and training in infant development and movement (more on this soon), we see the effects of baby boy’s early arrival in his movement patterns already (more on this soon, too). Though he was only five days early according to his due date, we are convinced my due date was too early as well. So this time, there will be no three-mile walk, followed by a prenatal massage, followed by an Insanity work out. Do I know for certain I stimulated labor with my son? Yes—I call it the science of “mother’s instinct.”

Last fall, The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists “redefined ‘term pregnancy’ to improve newborn outcomes and expand efforts to prevent non-medically indicated deliveries before 39 weeks of gestation.”

Here are the new definitions of ‘term’ deliveries:

  • Early term: 37 weeks 0 days to 38 weeks 6 days 
  • Full term: 39 weeks 0 days to 40 weeks 6 days 
  • Late term: 41 weeks 0 days to 41 weeks 6 days 
  • Postterm: 42 weeks 0 days and beyond 
This was due to research showing that every week of gestation matters for the health of newborns. The last few weeks of pregnancy allow a baby’s brain and lungs to fully mature. The neuro-connections still being made during this time can impact a baby’s future movement patterns, among other things.

Sally Goddard summarizes the importance of brain development and movement in the introduction to her book, “Reflexes, Learning and Behavior: A Window Into the Child’s Mind:”

“All learning takes place in the brian; it is the body that acts as receptor for information and then becomes the vehicle through which knowledge is expressed. In this respect, movement lies at the heart of learning. Learning, language and behavior are all linked in some way to the function of the motor system and control of movement.” (p. xvi)

Although you cannot control the onset of labor, I hope those of you who are lucky enough to make it to the final weeks or beyond your due dates embrace this important time. There are so many connections being made for your baby that will have long standing effects on their movement patterns and development. You can do it!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I knew it wasn't healthy for a baby to be born prematurely, but I never thought it could be even better for a baby to be born later than its due date! I will be excited to continue reading of your baby's development!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mollie! Obviously, it depends on the situation, so every woman should check with her doctor, but it is telling that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has redefinied "full term." Going to 40 weeks is best for baby!

    ReplyDelete